Friday, June 24, 2011

How I Lost the First 14 Pounds.

Hello friends.  My weight loss success stands at 14 pounds.  I've bottomed out at 256 from 270.  I've got a long way to go in order to hit my goal of 190.  I'm going to have to kick it into high gear.  Here are the things that I did to lose the first 14.  I'm hoping it helps any of you interested in losing weight.

  1. I didn't give up fast food.  I just substituted Subway for Whataburger.  Subway has several sandwich options that are less than 400 calories.  Forget the chips and make your drink a diet or a tea so it won't tack on any calories.
  2. I dusted off the gym membership and started using it.  I'm doing nothing but cardio in the interest of losing weight.  I'm a big fan of the eliptical because it burns lots of calories fast, and there's no impact on your knees.  That's important when you're portly like myself.
  3. Drink water.  Lots and lots of water.  When I had the urge to grab a bag of chips out of the pantry or a cookie, I made myself slam back a full glass of water.  This does two things.  First, it fills you up to the point that food no longer seems appealing.  Second, it gets your recommended 8 glasses of water per day.
  4. Find alternatives.  Over the years I've stretched my stomach.  So #3 doesn't always work.  When water's not working but I know that I don't need food, I find something to do.  Anything.  Get up and go to the gym.  Go for a drive.  Get on the internet and surf.  Write a blog!  You need something to take your mind off the fact that you'd like to head over to Krispy Kreme, buy every donut in the place, make a donut pyramid, and then jump in head first with your mouth wide open ....   what ... what were we talking about?
  5. Hang out with your family.  Find something to do with the kids.  Find something to do with your spouse.
Hope this helps.  I'll be dreaming of a Krispy Kreme pyramid tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I almost just choked on my breakfast from laughter. Did you really call yourself portly? And a donut pyramid? I love it, and I love that you've brought humour into your journey. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at? Congrats on the 14 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you working out? I started at Bodyworks. I have been going after work and dropping the kids off to play in their childcare area. The kids love it and it gets them tired:)

    ReplyDelete