Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mid-week Humdrums

Today was really frustrating!  I had horrible cravings (I didn't cave in - small victory) for the first time since the start of this journey.  The kids had a brownie at lunch and it looked so good!  I think it was calling my name, but I pretended my salad was screaming louder.  Somehow, it worked. 

I heard something this week that really struck a chord with me.  I overheard (okay I was kind of eavesdropping) this man talking about being addicted to food.  He said unlike alcoholics or drug-abusers, you can't just stop eating.  You have to eat to survive, you just have to eat smarter.  So true, yet sometimes SOOO hard!

Okay, I'm done moping and griping.  Several people have asked me about Weight Watchers.  I thought I'd answer a few questions I receive frequently.

Question...Does everyone know how much you weigh?  Do you have to weigh in front of everyone?
Answer to both....Absolutely not!  You weigh on scales in front of the counter before the meeting starts.  The number comes up on a computer behind the counter that only the WW worker can see.  He/she prints out a label with your current weight and your gain/loss for the week.  They DO NOT and WILL NOT say your weight out loud.  Losses are celebrated in the meeting with stars, medals and such but only with your permission.  Your weight is never mentioned only the amount you have lost.

Question...Do you have to stand up in front of everyone?
Answer...No.  You can share your thoughts, ideas or feelings on the subject of that week's meetings, but only if you want to. 

Question...What do you do during the meetings?
Answer...The meeting topics vary from "Healthy Recipe Ideas" to "How to Kick Up Your Workout" to "Helpful Serving Suggestions".  The leader has a set topic for the week and they are always really helpful and motivating. 

Question...How many points do you get each day?  Is it hard to count points?
Answers...The points you are allowed in a day depend on how much you weigh currently and your sex.  Extra points are allowed for teenagers and nursing moms.  It is not hard to count points.  After you do it for a few weeks, you start to memorize how many points certain things are.  I have a handy little calculator that does all the work for me!  Plus - there's an app for that!  Also, nearly all fruits and vegetables are zero points.

I hope these answers help you if you've been thinking about Weight Watchers.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Thought of the day - "Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." - Babe Ruth

If you see a brownie, tell it I said "BE QUIET!"
Kelli

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell all the brownies to be quiet. I'm proud of you both! And what you overheard from that guy is so true. Food addiction is the hardest to treat because of the inability to take away the source of the addiction. You have to eat or you die. Anyway, keep up the good work, and keep us posted if you hear any news on the lone shoe. Has anyone claimed it yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete